Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Double Digits Until When?!?!?!?!

I have never been unemployed. Never fired from any job. I know being laid off is different from being fired but still - I've never been let go from a job. I have always been the one to leave so this is a whole new experience for me. It's like I've become a casualty of the declining economy and I am not too fond of being a casualty.

Anyway, it's articles like the one I posted the link to below that perturbs me to no end. Makes me wonder if I am going to have to settle for that $12 an hour job I've been trying to avoid. You know - the $12 an hour job with a list of requirements and duties a mile long that you know is not worth the aggravation?


www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/28/1601233/floridas-economy-slowly-recovering.html


Hello!!!! Is there anybody out there??? When I send my resume to a prospective employer it feels like it's going out into cyberspace, along with countless of other resumes, straight to a virtual resume graveyard. This online job applying comes complete with "do not contact job poster" or "no phone calls please" messages right on the ad, and I can totally see why. Sometimes you wonder of any of these job postings are legitimate.

The problem here is that 12.3% unemployment rate in the State of Florida. That means there are at least - at least - one million Floridians out of work with only a couple thousand jobs to go around. So the rat race has gotten even bigger but there still isn't enough cheese. 12.3% is higher than the national average. According to the article I linked here, the recovery process is going to take two years just to get that 12.3% down to 9.2%. I'm hoping it won't take me that long to land another job but the fact is Florida is not recovering as quickly as the rest of the country. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself. I don't come from a family line of stay at home moms. I'm a working gal and I need a job for my sanity just as much as I need a job for income.

Aside from there not being enough work, employers are having a hard time getting through their hiring processes because of the overwhelming responses to any position they advertise. They are arranging things like "10 minute meets" and phone interviews so they can narrow it down to 4 to 7 candidates from the 140+ applications they receive for a given position. In turn, it takes them a month to get back to the applicants they are interested in. This makes things even more discouraging for job hunters as patience is not readily available when you're worried about paying your rent and putting food on your table.

But I tend to find a silver lining in most things. As difficult as this has been for me, this is a whole new experience that I get to learn from. I get to see just what kind of survivor I am really am - if I am anything like my father who fought keep a roof over our heads until the day he died. No matter what he always managed to make ends meet. Where there's a will there's a way and I've certainly never lacked the will. I'll find a way even if I have to pour the asphalt myself.

1 comment:

  1. First of all, welcome to the blogosphere:-)

    I did not know you were out of work. I'm sorry to hear that. I can completely relate to not being a SAHM type.

    The job market has changed, and while I am a techie, I think technology has made it easier to find a job, but more difficult to get an interview. I tell my clients that it isn't enough to submit a resume. You need to follow that up with an in person "I filled out an application/submitted a resume and wanted to follow up regarding your hiring process" type of meeting. If you don't initiate it, you are just another virtual application/resume. They need to match a name with a face.

    Have you considered volunteering while you look for work? I did a lot of volunteer work overseas when I was out of work by default and it help make use of my abundance of time while the kids were in school.

    I think this recession has affected different regions in different ways. The average in the DC area is around 4.5%. Other than considering a move to a job hot spot, I think you may find it helpful networking through people you know.

    I really think we go through these peaks and valleys for a reason. When I had to leave my job in FL, I went through major grieving. It wasn't the job - it was "who am I without the job and the title?" I could have let that consume me but I carved a life out for myself doing things I enjoys and ended up having a great time. You can let it get to you or you can look at the opportunity before you. As much as I missed work when I was out of work, I now sometimes wish I had the time to pursue what I enjoy (like writing, blogging). Enjoy the time you have to explore your options because you may never have that opportunity. Time to squeeze those lemons and make some lemonade!

    ReplyDelete